Recipe: Vegan Ombar Traybake
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Passive time: 2 hours
- 200g Ombar 72%
- 100g Ombar Coco Mylk
- 250 ml full fat coconut milk
- 480 ml unsweetened almond milk (or other plant milk)
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 100g light brown soft sugar or coconut sugar
- 200ml sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 300g plain flour
- 100g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Start by making the ganache. Chop the chocolate finely and place in a heat-proof bowl. Heat the coconut milk until it's just coming to the boil.
- Pour the hot milk over the chocolate and set aside for two minutes, then stir until melted and smooth. Cover the bowl and place in the fridge to set for about 2 hours while you make the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 23x33cm/9x13in rectangular cake tin.
- Whisk together the almond milk, vinegar, caster sugar, brown sugar, sunflower oil and vanilla extract in a jug.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Gradually whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until smooth; be careful not to over-mix or the cake can become tough.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and spread level. Bake for 25-35 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin. Once cool, carefully flip it out onto a wire rack.
- By now the ganache should be thick but spreadable; if it is still too runny then return it to the fridge until it is firm, or pop it in the freezer for a bit to speed up the process. If it is too thick then gently warm it over a pan of hot water until it has softened.
- Spread the ganache over the top of the cake and top with Ombar chocolate curls. The cake will keep for up to five days in an airtight container at room temperature. If it's a warm day, store the cake in the fridge so that the ganache doesn't become too soft.